o

o
Orange Talkies

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Dharapuram In Kongu Region


Dharapuram (also known as Rajarajapuram by the Tanjore Cholas), is a town and a municipality in theTirupur district of the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Dharapuram is one of the oldest towns in Tiruppur District. Dharapuram was the capital of Kongu Nadu under Kongu Cholas, at which time it was known asVanchipuri. The Amaravathi River flows through the city.

Dharapuram was part of the Chera kingdom until 850 A.D. From 1000 A.D. to 1275 A.D., the area was ruled by the Kongu Cholas who renamed Dharapuram Vanchipuri (also Viradapuram). The Cholan capital was under attack by a hitherto unknown group in South India, called Kalabhars, during Tamilakam. As a result, the Kongu Cholas made this their military and political headquarters. The Tanjore Cholas named the cityRajarajapuram. After 1276 A.D. the Pandyan empire took control of the region. The Pandyan ruler Veerapandian made Kongu chieftain Kalingarayar (which translates to "slayer of Kalinga King's head in battlefield"), the Prime minister of the Pandyan empire. During this period, this visionary dug the famous Kalingarayan Channel, which continues to irrigate the region.
The Viradapuram Raja built a fort in the heart of Vanchipuri. The Muslims (Modern Sulthans) ruled next, after which the Nayaks of Madurai ruled. They were followed by Hyder Ali and Tippu Sultan. In 1799, when Tippu fell to the British, the East Indian Company took over administration of this region. The British stationed their military camp in Therupatti on the Palani road, regularly practicing rifle firing in the Kannimar Hills. The ancient foundry of the Chera, Kongu Nadu (Kollan Pattari), is also found in the same village.
Dharapuram and Coimbatore gained the status of Municipality on the same day. Dharapuram Municipality was promoted to first grade municipality on May 6, 1983. Dharapuram Town is situated along 9.62 km2 of the bank of River Amaravathi. Under British control, Dharapuram was the capital of South Noyyal District, and Bhavani was the capital of North Noyyal District. Now Tiruppur district has taken the leadership role
The Viradapuram Raja built a fort in the heart of Vanchipuri. The Muslims (Modern Sulthans) ruled next, after which the Nayaks of Madurai ruled. They were followed by Hyder Ali and Tippu Sultan. In 1799, when Tippu fell to the British, the East Indian Company took over administration of this region. The British stationed their military camp in Therupatti on the Palani road, regularly practicing rifle firing in the Kannimar Hills. The ancient foundry of the Chera, Kongu Nadu (Kollan Pattari), is also found in the same village.

No comments:

Post a Comment